BYLAW I – Name
This organization shall be known as the Brookings Chinese Community (BCC, also called the Community thereafter).
BYLAW II – Mission
The mission of the Community is to provide a friendly, enjoyable, and politically and religiously neutral place for all Chinese and their friends living in Brookings, SD area. The Community will organize activities aimed to increase interaction, promote friendship, and assist career development among members. The Community will also be involved in promoting Chinese culture and stimulating interaction between Chinese and American Cultures.
BYLAW III – Members
All Chinese and people of Chinese origin and their significant others living in Brookings, SD area are eligible for the membership.
BYLAW IV – Organization
1. The officers of the Community shall be president, vice president, secretary/treasurer, and webmaster.
2. The president serves as chair of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall consist of members from the following units. The number of members from different units is determined by the number of the community members in that unit.
Unit 1: College of Natural Sciences 3 members (faculty)
Unit 2: College of Engineering 3 members (faculty)
Unit 3: Colleges of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences;
Pharmacy & Allied Health Professions;
Education & Human Sciences; Nursing 2 members (faculty)
Unit 4: College of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences 2 members (faculty)
Immediate Past President 1 member
CSSA Faculty Advisor 1 member
CSSA President 1 member
CSSA Vice President 1 member
SDSU Staff Representative 1 member
Off-campus Representative 1 member
Spouse Representative 1 member
Total 17 members
BYLAW V –Terms of Office
The president, vice president, secretary/treasurer, and web master shall serve for terms of two years each. In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the vice president shall assume the added duties of the president for the unexpired term. If both offices of president and vice president are vacant, an election of president from the executive members should be called.
BYLAW VI –Manner of Election
The current president shall initiate the process for the election of the next executive committee members. Once the executive committee members are elected, the next president shall be elected by the unit members from one of the units 1-4 based on the rotation order of unit 1, 2, 3, and 4. Once the next president is elected, the current president shall call a meeting with the next executive committee members. At the meeting, the next executive committee members shall elect vice president, secretary/treasurer, and webmaster from the executive committee members. The results shall be announced to the community.
BYLAW VII - Qualification of the Candidate for President
1. The candidate shall be a member of the Executive Committee.
2. The candidate shall be a member of SDSU faculty with a minimum of 2-year residence in Brookings.
3. The candidate must be neutral in politics and religion when dealing with any of the community related activities. Please note that this criterion does not exclude anyone who has political preference or religious belief from seeking candidacy; as long as the candidate is not in favor of or promote one over the other in dealing with any of the community related activities.
BYLAW VIII – Duties of Officers, Executive Committee and Webmaster
1. The duties of the officers and executive committee shall be related with the missions of the Community.
2. The president shall appoint all committees and committee chairs authorized by the Executive Committee. The president shall also appoint members to special short-term task forces established by the Executive Committee. All such appointments shall be approved by a simple majority vote of the Executive Committee before becoming official.
3. The vice president shall play the role of assisting the president and assume the role of the president in the absence of the president.
4. The secretary/treasurer shall keep records of meeting minutes, be in charge of the funds of the Community, keep an accurate record of all receipts and disbursements, and pay all reasonable and customary expenses.
5. The webmaster is responsible for and in charge of website maintenance and the community’s e-mail mailing list.
BYLAW VIIII – Change or modification of the bylaws
The motion to modify bylaws must be approved by a three-fourths (3/4) vote of the executive committee members. Any member has ultimate veto to the modification.
Copyright © 2023 Brookings Chinese Community - All Rights Reserved.